Roger Walkinton, Deputy Director of the Friends of St Paul's has shared some interesting information about the history and connections with the Stationers' Company of this magnificent dish (only used at Christmas and at Easter).
The Great Alms Dish – 1871 (irreverently known as the Wimbledon dish!)
The dish was given to St Paul's in memory of the law publisher Henry Butterworth (1786-1860) who operated out of 7 Fleet Street. It was his son Joshua who gave the dish, the central scene of which shows St Paul addressing a crowd. Henry and Joshua were both Liverymen and it was Joshua who presented the Shakespeare and Caxton stained glass windows in Stationers' Hall to the Company.