Liveryman Doug Wills writes:

Safeeyah Kazi is one of the four young people taken on a two-year editorial apprenticeship with the Evening Standard/The Independent Diversity Bursary Scheme in which Stationers’ is a partner. All four are now gaining on-the-job experience in all editorial departments. Safeeyah was extremely successful during the 20-week National Council for the Training of Journalists Course this year, achieving  the NCTJ Gold Standard in Essential Journalism, Essential Media Law, Court Reporting, Production Journalism, Shorthand and Essential Public Affairs. Safeeyah and the other four apprentices are already impressing editorial executives and are contributing much to the titles.

Safeeyah  (seen in the photo with The Vamps when working on a story with them) writes:

The 20-week training programme under the NCTJ was definitely a challenging time but in the most enjoyable way for me personally because I felt that all of the skills I was obtaining were directly applicable to the role, particularly having had no prior experience in journalism. All of these skills have been transferable to the workplace and for someone with no experience in the industry the course was invaluable in giving me the training and confidence needed. Following the completion of my course and attainment of my 100WPM some of the highlights of both my personal and professional career have occurred. I recently interviewed artists ‘The Vamps’, ‘Ronan Keating’, ‘The Script’ and ‘Chase and Status’ on the back of contacting the PR myself and pitching this to showbiz, for me this was a massive win in the fact that I finally put all the skills I had learnt in to practice. I also visited a food bank and wrote a piece for Independent Voices, a personal and professional win simply because it’s such an important issue and projecting  the voice of those who are struggling beneath our noses is something I am proud to have done. Additionally, I have done stories on Sadiq Khan’s mental health campaign ‘Thrive LDN’, a story on an immersive horror house (which was terrifying) and done some shadowing on the acid stories. Shadowing has been such an asset to me in implementing what I learn from reporters on the job, their wealth of experience is a privilege to learn from. One challenge I experience out on the job was my first ever death-knock with a gentleman who was anything but thrilled to see me. Despite the slight intimidation factor this was a great opportunity for me to put into practice all I had learnt about respecting everyone’s right to grieve and not intruding on that. I was able to remain calm and handle the situation in such a way that it was quickly deescalated which was a personal win.

Safeeyah's archive of work can be seen here

The Worshipful Company
of Stationers
and Newspaper Makers

Stationers' Hall
Ave Maria Lane
London EC4M 7DD

Telephone: 020 7248 2934
Fax: 020 7489 1975