Membership of the Stationers' Company
In general membership of the Stationers' Company is open to those who are or have been actively engaged in the Communications and Content industries, either directly or as a supplier to those who work in these industries.
However membership can be extended to those, one of whose parents was a member of the Company at the time of their birth; to those who were students at the Stationers' School (Old Stationers); and to others who are deemed by the Master and Wardens to be worthy of membership.
Liverymen are full members of the Company, entitled to attend all events, to serve on Company committees and to be elected to serve on the Court of Assistants. In general Liverymen will be persons of good standing within the Communications and Content industries or suppliers to those who work in these industries.
A small number of Old Stationers (up to a maximum of 15) are entitled to be Liverymen at the discretion of the Master and Wardens. Others deemed worthy by the Master and Wardens may be admitted to the Livery.
Freemen fall into five categories.
- Those who are waiting to become Liverymen.
- Those who are starting their careers in the Communications and Content industries or as suppliers to those who work in these industries or and are considering becoming Liverymen at some point in the future.
- Those who are or have been actively engaged in the Communications and Content industries, either directly or as a supplier to those who work in these industries who have chosen not to go on to become Liverymen.
- Those who have served as Liverymen and now wish to reduce their commitment to the Company but remain in membership.
- Those who were students at the Stationers' School (Old Stationers).
* This is a summary of our detailed Rules and Ordinances relating to membership. Please email the Clerk on email@example.com if you wish to see this detail.
Joining the Stationers' Company
Those interested in applying for membership of the Company should in the first instance contact Deborah Rea on firstname.lastname@example.org for an application pack or click here to download a Membership Application Form. Once the completed form has been received an applicant will be invited to attend a briefing, usually given by the Clerk of the Company, to learn more about the Company and about what being a member might involve.
Applications are then considered by the Interview Panel who invite those seeking membership to an interview and make a formal recommendation to the Master & Wardens and subsequently the Court. The applicant is then invited to attend a Freedom ceremony and formally become a Freeman.
In order to proceed to the full status of Liveryman, it is necessary for the applicant to apply for the honour of becoming a Freeman of the City of London after which they may be invited to a Cloathing ceremony to become Liverymen.
Please click here and see what some of our Liverymen have to say about us.