The Times was founded in 1785 by John Walter, initially under the title of 'The Thunderer'. It remained in the Walter family’s control until 1908, when it was bought by Lord Northcliffe. Under the proprietorship of Walter's son, John Walter II, the Times established itself as one of the most influential newspapers of its day. This painting of John Walter II, on loan to the Company from the Times Newspapers Limited Archive, is currently attributed to James Lonsdale (1777-1839) and possibly painted between 1816 and 1826.

Past Master Christopher McKane will be giving his talk, 'The Making of the Thunderer', at the Stationers' Company Archive Evening on 15th April 2019. Details of how to book can be found here.

The Worshipful Company
of Stationers
and Newspaper Makers

Stationers' Hall
Ave Maria Lane
London EC4M 7DD

Telephone: 020 7248 2934
Fax: 020 7489 1975