The Company of Newspaper Makers held its first meeting on the 15th December 1931. It was constituted as a separate company with its own Hall. This illustration shows the architect’s proposed design for that Hall.
The tower of the new hall was to ‘rise to a height of 277 feet [approx. 84m] from the pavement’, making it ‘very much the highest commercial building in the City of London.’ However, the Company of Newspaper Makers did eventually amalgamate with the Stationers’ Company. Following a petition requesting that the name of the Company be changed in order to reflect this, Letters Patent were issued on 25 January 1937, and sealed with the Great Seal.
Come and find out more at the Stationers' Company Archive Evening on 15th April 2019. Details of how to book can be found here.